The building is an existing 1926 5-story archival library and a historic/state landmark. Phase 1 of the project consisted of a 4-story addition, which included a 2-story loggia area (open gallery), stairs, public ready room and 3 floors of archival storage and elevators. The historic portion of the building remained occupied during construction.
Phase 2 – the renovation of the existing historic building, included updating the restrooms to bring them up to code, and a new elevator. Phase 1 of the project remained occupied during Phase 2 construction.